Saturday, October 29, 2011

I think I just learned to {heart} my body




I'm going to be honest here, and say that there are so many things about my body that I want to change, that when I first heard about this, I was all "HELL FREAKING NO!"

Then I watched my Twitter flood with amazing, gorgeous women from around the country stripping down and bearing all.
Reading their stories touched me in a way that all the 'Love your body' ad campaigns did not. And never could.

These women are fabulous. And Gorgeous. But with their photo's came the stories of how their bodies had changed, from their ideal. Yet they are so beautiful.

I think it comes down to the age old tale, of the grass is always greener, of different perspectives and idea's on what the ideal is. On what beautiful is. On what perfect is.

I felt empowered by these women, all baring their insecurities for the world to see.
But at the same time, I felt much like a fraud for even contemplating showing the world all the things I want changed. All the surgeries I would have if the bank account could fund it. When the point is to LOVE my body.

This morning, I chose to embrace myself. Even the bits I hate.


Even Laura who has just gotten out of bed, after being up all night thinking about writing this post, and then was awoken again by kids freaking out over a thunderstorm.

But, as I was intensely studying every shot I took, the memories came flooding back.
The memory that was made with each and every mark, scar, lump, bump and stretch mark.

And I started to feel a little liberated.

When I look down, all I usually see is my disgusting, stretched stomach.
This morning I remembered the story behind each and every stretch mark. And started to love them a little.
I remembered just why I look like the saggy baggy elephant, when Mousie was born, tearing a muscle in my stomach that can only be repaired with surgery, so now it kinda hangs, one side lower than the other.


The boobs no woman should have ever been blessed with.
They simply are not practical, and yes, as Glowless said, F stands for Faaarrr out they are huuuuuge!!! 
They no longer sit where I would like them to, and pretty much have a mind of their own, but they have managed to nourish all 3 of my babies and give them a great start to life.
And occasionally, just sometimes, you find a dress that they look KILLER in! But only sometimes.


This is the shot, that has really left me shaking. That makes me feel nauseous. That I really can't believe I even took, let alone am about to show the world.
But his all about embracing me. The me that I am, not the me that I want to be, used to be or wish I was.


Lumps, bumps, scars and stretched. This is me.
My body has done some amazing things. And for that, I need to give it a little more credit, and be a little more proud of it.






It is so easy for me to sit here and admire all the amazing semi naked women floating around the inter webs today, but it's so much harder for me to sit back and applaud myself for joining them.

Here's to the sisterhood ladies.
To embracing ourselves.
To our uniqueness.
To our journey.
To our individual beauty.

I think I may kinda {heart} my body now.






 

21 comments:

  1. Thank you :) This is truly one of the hardest things I have ever done, yet I really feel so great about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredibly liberating is it? I was shaking, I thought about it ALL day and then I nearly deleted my post.

    Seeing so many women (and the odd man) just showing it how it is and being proud of who they are is just fantastic.

    No doubt about it, you have boobs to die for in that red number!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I freaking love you! You are amazingly beautiful with your F for Faaaar out they're huuuuge boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, just beautiful - thank you so much for sharing and for LOVING your body!

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, thank you, they are all good until I have to run!

    Glowy, us FFFFFFreaking awesome ladies have to stick together! I was so excited when I read your post last night and saw that letter... I was all "Oh, I have a friend who gets it!!!". Thanks for helping me to embrace them rather than curse them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kimmie, thats really the point of the shebang. We are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Laura,Im a proud grandma,you have written every thing I would have said,but no I wont bare all,you young lovley ladies are doing it for us granmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fact that you did this is wonderful, the fact that you felt liberated as a result is even better! You are beautiful & I'm loving that I've realised today that Im not the only one with Fliping Fantastic boobies
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing and brave and beautiful. Every line tells a story of your life, how wise you are to embrace that. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nan, Shanks! You now know my secret - I'm a closet blogger! That will teach you for stalking my facebook, betcha didn't think this is what you would find on a Saturday morning! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. You are BEAUTIFUL, and I am so glad you joined in.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Eden thank you :) It took some balls, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post!! I think we come in so many different packages, but we are all beautiful. I was like you, not very into it in the beginning, but I'm glad I joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Here's to the sisterhood ladies.
    To embracing ourselves.
    To our uniqueness.
    To our journey.
    To our individual beauty."

    Best thing I've read in all these body love posts!

    You're beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Shae, A pretty good message I thought too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even as a feeding mother I never had Faaaaar out they're huge! boobs, which always made me kinda sad, and I don't even want to know the pain of tearing stomach muscles, but how amazing that your body has been there, done that and is still doing all the things you have asked of it? And it is a wonderful body, it is yours, in a way that no other one could be xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So brave and so beautiful. Thank you for taking that deep breath and hitting post.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts regarding my crazy thoughts.