Friday, October 21, 2011

A family of super mutants | HNPCC the facts

I am a mutant.

Not me personally, but my insides are.

Well not my insides as such, but my DNA.

I have mutant DNA.

Yeah, that's it.





It's the easiest way to describe it. Otherwise I would have to use all kinda of stupid words that people can't actually read and have no idea of the meaning.

I am from a HNPCC family. Hereditary non polyposis colon cancer. HNPCC.

It's amazing what a few little letters can mean to your life.

What it means for me, in a very shortened version, is that when cell's renew themselves, ours may put a misprint in. Instead of ABCD our's might decide to be a little random and throw in a Z. Just for the hell of it.

When all these Z's build up, it forms a tumour. Voila. Cancer.

Here are a few stats:

*HNPCC is a dominantly inherited susceptibility to bowel cancer and other cancers including caner of the uterus, ovary, stomach, small intestine, real pelvis and ureter.

* HNPCC Carries have an 80% lifetime risk of bowel Cancer.

* For women, there is a 40% lifetime risk of cancer of the womb and a 10% lifetime risk of ovarian caner.

* A small increase, both men and women, in the risk of cancer of the small bowel, stomach, pancreas and kidneys and ureters.

Pretty scary shit, when you read it like that.

This is what my mum passed away from. It pretty much just attacked her entire body, and even after loads of surgeries and chemo, she was still riddled with it. It was everywhere except her brain, which they thought would be it's next point of attack.

I am lucky. In a sense. I know that it can happen, so I get regular screening. Early detection of any kind of cancer is the key!!!  I can be aware of the signs. I can take precautions.

I always knew I was different. I just didn't think that my DNA was going to jump on the bandwagon too.

Please note that is VERY RARE, and there are very few people with this mutation, but if you happen to know another mutant, I would love to hear from them. Let's raise awareness so these families and sufferers know they aren't alone.

If you would like to know more, and all the technical terms visit The Cancer Council

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing.
    Scary, but amazing. I'm glad you can be proactive about your condition.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit scary, and even more so watching what it can do to a human, but as they say, Knowledge is power!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts regarding my crazy thoughts.